Mandi Ahmedgarh, June 25
Members of the Muslim community in the region are a disappointed lot after the Central Government’s decision that pilgrims from India will not travel to Saudi Arabia for Haj 2020. The government’s decision came after Saudi Arabia conveyed that it would bar arrivals from abroad to attend Haj due to the Covid-19.
Earlier, Muslim families used to organise farewell events for those leaving for Mecca for the Haj pilgrimage. Former president of the Municipal Council Suraaj Mohammad regretted that his dream to attend Haj remained unfulfilled with the development owing to the Covid-19.
“Though I had saved enough money for the pilgrimage and fulfilled other conditions according to Islamic preaching, I feel unlucky that there will be no pilgrimage to Mecca from India this year,” said Mohammad.
Hazi Furqan Ahmed and Zeshan Haider, office-bearers of the Shariat Committee, said Muslims were upset over the decision taken by organisers at Mecca as according to them spiritually there was no substitute for the Haj.
Zeshan Haider said about 400 Muslims from Punjab and HP perform Haj every year and this year too, around 300 applications had been processed before the Covid-19 outbreak.
Zeshan Haider said the Intzamia Committee at Mecca could have allowed Indian Muslims to perform Haj with guidelines. “It is for the first time in the post-Independence era of India that Haj has been banned. Had the organisers bothered to make extra arrangements for the prevention of spread of the Covid-19, at least some Indians from various could have been allowed to visit the shrine,” argued Zeshan Haider. — OC
>Source THE TRIBUNE